Thursday, June 27, 2013


Circle Weavings 

Student Chosen Inspirations 

(I loved this project so much, I am a little late to post this but I just had to.)

My 3rd quarter visual arts elective class is a unit based on sculpture and this year I wanted to do something with yarn.  I wanted my students to have a chance to create something with a lot of texture and color but not as much mess. It's also a plus for me that I am a huge fan of textiles and weavings.

The students first looked at the history of dreamcatchers and circular weavings; what materials were used, how they were made, and why they were made.  
They then created 3 design ideas for their circle weavings and dream catchers.  Many made designs based off of elements found in nature (i.e. sunset, beach, water, and forest).

The students soaked their own reeds, to shape the frame of their looms.
Then they measured out  6 feet of yarn to string the warp lines of their looms.
The students used an over, under pattern, as well as, some special braiding inspired weaving methods to  recreate their original designs on their looms.


There were many great designs and finished weavings. Below are images from some of those in our school's middle school art show.

Art Show Display
Detail Shots


No comments:

Post a Comment